Lobster is the one of large shrimp that is well known as one of luxury seafood with the expensive price but on the other hand, it contains so many nutrition. Indeed, there are not a few restaurants on the coast of Indonesia that served this kind of seafood. Because, to get the very delicious taste we have to process it right, especially in the process of the cleaning lobster shrimp before you cook. To serve the best lobster dishes you have to buy fresh and still alive lobster.
How To Clean Lobster
To choose the fresh lobster, you must make sure that it’s still alive. Try to hold your hand close to the lobster. If the lobster responds quickly and tries to attack, so it means that the lobster has good quality. Whereas for lobster with poor quality, sometimes they have smells bad and the meat looks soft. If you don’t have time to clean, you can ask the seller to help clean it. But, if you want to keep doing it yourself, so you can see some methods to clean the lobster to be cooked. Let’s check it out.
First of all, you must prepare this following tools:
- Ice water and ice cube
- Cutting board
If you already to prepare the tools, the next step is to kill lobster quickly and don’t torture him. When you have it, put the lobster on the cutting board with face down position. Make sure that the claws do not point at you and touch the cloth to cover the head. In order to quickly die, so stick the tip of the knife in the gap between head and body and point to the head. Even though the shrimp is dead, sometimes lobster can still move a little for few minutes. And for the good results, you can clean it immediately.
You can use another method to kill the lobster safely. You can boil live lobster into boiling water. Although this way is looking so torturous, this method can also damage the skin of lobster. But this method does look much easier and safer and avoid claws. You can following this steps.
- You must use the big pan and fill it with enough water. If you want to boil 3-4 kilos lobster, so you need15 to 19 liters of water. As a rule, it is better to have too much water than a pan is too tight because there is too many lobsters.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoon of salt per liter of water. For the best result, use sea salt. For optional, you can add a thyme, two bay leaves, and one lemon juice into the water. This addition will make the water more like a broth than just salt water. People with traditional taste might still want their lobster to be boiled wits simple salt water. If you want to eat lobster with butter or melted butter, you don’t need to make broth.
- Heat the water until it is really boiling. The water is completely boiling when the water does not stop removing bubbles when stirred. You need to really boil water to make sure that the water will keep boiling hot even after the lobster has been put in the pan, which will cause the water temperature to drop for a moment.
- Put lobster into the boiling water. Here are some things to consider when you put the lobster into the boiling water:
- Let the lobster claw still tied up by rubber until you want to soak them into the saucepan.
- This lobster claws are very strong and can cause Hold the lobster on the back of carapace when you do this step.
- Put the lobster head first into the water, then try to put all the lobster that you will cook into the pan as soon as possible. If you cook some lobster, put them in water at the same time, so you can remove them at the same time.
- After the specified cooking time is complete, check if the lobster was cooked. You can see into the color of that lobster. Ripe lobster is fully dark red. Drag one of the antennae, so if it release easily so the lobster was cooked.
Don’t forget to clean the dirt on the skin or lobster shell using clean water. And the last, you can cook the lobster using the recipes that you want. Enjoy it.